Sunday, February 23, 2014

Chocolate Cupcakes

My friend had a Birthday recently and naturally, there had to some sort of treat involved. I was originally planning on making a chocolate cake, but given that there wasn't going to be that many people at the party, I decided on making cupcakes instead. I've used one recipe for chocolate cake for a while, and while it is delicious, I wanted to try something new. I used the chocolate cake recipe from My Baking Addiction and modified it slightly to make this batch of cupcakes. This recipe baked into cupcakes perfectly and was moist and tasty! Next, I went to the refridgerator to grab some butter to make chocolate butter cream and met an unpleasant surprise; there was no butter. What!? Thankfully we did have cream, which I used to make chocolate ganache. I never loved ganache for frosting cupcakes as it just doesn't hold up nearly as well as buttercream when being piped. The solution to this, I discovered, was to whip the ganache which gives it a bit more body, and it piped perfectly!

The trusty old Kitchen-aid mixer did a great job whipping up the chocolate ganache for the cupcakes!


I received a cake stand for my birthday which fit my small batch of cupcakes just perfectly!

Sprinkles were involved of course!

I made this tag to tie around the base of the cake stand!

Chocolate Cake:
(makes a 1 layer 8" cake or around 12 cupcakes)

1 cup sugar
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup strong black coffee 
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 350F. Grease a 8" cake pan or line a muffin tin with wrappers. Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer until combined. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes; the batter will be thin. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 12-15 minutes for cupcakes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Frost with chocolate ganache or a frosting of choice.


Notes:

- To tell the truth, I don't really have a recipe for chocolate ganache, I usually just guesstimate with a ratio of 1 part cream to 4 parts chocolate.

- It's no problem if you don't have buttermilk: simply add a tablespoon of lemon juice, vinegar, or yogurt to the milk and let it sit for a couple of minutes


Coco


1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I know you could be doing something else!