Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cucumber Salad

I was reading Upfront magazine, when I came across this wonderful little article on school lunches around the world. The French lunch looked divine, but the one that really caught my eye was one from Japan. It had rice, miso soup, sardines, and this lovely pickled cucumber salad. I had never made anything like pickled cucumber salad before, so I decided to give it a whirl. I was thrilled! I was easy, relatively quick, and didn't contain anything I didn't already have in my pantry. I liked that it tasted like a mild pickle in a way, a little sweet, and a little sour. Plus, it's pretty too. You could eat it plain, but I ate it with some rice for my lunch. Because I already had rice in the fridge, it was a wonderful lunch that I will definitely be having again!

Start off by letting the sliced cucumbers sit in a sieve or strainer for 20-25 minutes. This gets rid of the excess water, so that the flavour of the vinegar will come out better later.


Dust a little sea salt on top and use lotion so that your hands aren't as nasty as mine.


Add the shallot, basil, vinegar, and oil. The shallot is underneath the cucumbers in my pic, so you can't see them. Sorry! I also added some dill to mine, just to see how it would taste. Personally, I didn't like the taste. Next time, I would stick to the recipe.

Wasn't that simple? I served mine with rice. I ate it right away, but I think it would work just fine if you kept it in the fridge for a day or two!


Cucumber Salad
adapted from the Skinny Chef

1 Cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground sea salt
1 small minced shallot
1 tablespoon apple cider or rice vinegar
2 tablespoons olive, vegetable, or canola oil
Fresh mint or basil (to taste)

Spread the cucumbers in a strainer and let sit for 20-25 minutes. If the cucumbers are a little wet, pat them dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the salt, shallot, basil/mint, vinegar, and oil on top. Toss the cucumbers to coat them all evenly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I know you could be doing something else!